Writing about poetry and Writing Poetry Comparison

 I feel that when you write about poetry you follow mostly on what kind of styles or what poetry means to you. I feel that you try to think very hard about what it could mean . While when you write poetry you don't have to think about it too hard, you just write down what you feel based upon your experiences , your feelings , and mood . I feel that they are both similar in regards to the process: you gather your thoughts and write down what you  are thinking about . As well as when you are writing poetry based upon how you feel , and how you want to express yourself it has a deeper and emotional feeling . When you are just writing about poetry I feel that it will be too formal because there's no feeling behind it. Personally when I was doing the essay I felt that when you write about poetry it's more about analysis , and trying to find the meaning of the poem . However I would like to say that I felt the emotions behind when writing about my chosen poem for the analysis essay assignment , but with my own poetry I felt a much more deep connection.  I would say that there is a bit of a difference with writing about poetry as compared to writing poetry . As you write about your own experiences , life traumas , life accomplishments etc... you reflect on all the things that you witnessed in your lifespan . As when you are just writing about poetry you don't get to have that same emotional effect.

Comments

  1. Hi George! I like how you mention when writing poetry having a deeper emotional connection than when writing about poetry. When writing about poetry you become more distant from the feelings of the poet because you are trying to give an unbiased analysis of said poetry. Being too emotionally invested in a poem wouldn't allow you to give a partial interpretation. A more fitting way of touching on a poem you are emotionally connected to would be to create a response with another poem. For example, "The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd" by Sir Walter Raleigh was a direct response and criticism of Marlow's, "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love". Raleighs' obvious disapproval of Marlowe over the fantastical idea of love would have shown an obvious bias if he had attempted to write an analytical criticism but his response through poetry was much more effective at showing his personal feelings while avoiding showing a lack of sensitivity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey George,
    I completely agree with you on the whole feeling connected with your poem and writing down things that are present to you, such as feelings when you are writing your poem. I felt the need to express myself, too, because I felt that everything had been bottled up. Poetry is a great way to express yourself, and I love that we can use the elements of nature and write freely in poetry. But when writing about a particular poem eliminates a strong connection because I'm just focused on analyzing the poem and making sure that I understand what the poet is saying. Sometimes they use words that I have never even heard of. But overall, poetry is excellent. I never knew I would be into it. By the way, I enjoyed the poem you presented during class. So I want to encourage you to keep on writing poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Myth versus the study of myth

Learning Something New Everyday